INSTRUCTIONS FOR USING THE DOGLO APP
Introduction of the Doglo app
The Doglo app is a free download for Android phones / tablets on Google Play and for iPhones / iPads Apps Stores. To find the app, enter the search term ‘Doglo’ in the app store and install the Doglo app offered.
After installing the app, you must grant the app access to the following:
- access to phone location – the app shows your location on the map with a blue dot and sees your distance from the dog;
- access to the phone camera – to add a tracking device with a QR code, it is necessary to take a picture of it and it will automatically read the data from the app.
- access to contacts – the tracking device can be shared with your other contacts/phone numbers in the Doglo app.
- Select the language of using the app. There are 15 different languages to choose from, including Estonian, English and Russian.
- Select the home country of your mobile operator. The default country code for ‘Estonia’ is +372.
- Enter your phone number, name, and email address to register an account or identify an existing account. You can change your name and email address later.
To confirm the account, an SMS message with a code will be sent to the entered phone number. Enter the received code in the corresponding field. Usually, the Android phone automatically detects the user (the code sent via SMS does not have to be entered).
Adding a dog’s tracker
To add a tracker, follow these steps:
- Select “Tracking devices” in the menu.
- Press the “+” sign to add a device.
- Enter the details of the tracking device (IMEI number on the device and phone number) or take a picture of the QR code on the device.
- The added device is added to your list of trackers.
List of dog tracking devices
In the list of tracking devices (select “Tracking devices” in the menu), the user is shown all the devices related to him – the devices belonging to him and the devices shared with him. Shared devices are on a dark background and their details cannot be viewed or changed by the user in detail. For each device, the tracker’s icon, the GSM number in the device, the device name, and the time of the last signal received from the device are displayed.
The number of monitoring devices that can be added is not limited. The device is managed in the tracking device management view (select “Tracking devices” in the menu and then the desired device).
General information about the dog tracking device
The management view of the tracking device shows the general information of the device (device name, device IMEI, phone number, icon). The last data received in the connection from the device is also shown:
- last connection time
- battery level
- GSM signal strength (a range of 1-5)
- Number of fixed GPSs
Time of last connection
Shows the time when the monitor last sent information about its activity. Depending on the age of the signal, the time display is a different color:
- time is green – the tracking device is in monitoring mode or has just sent the last signal (received within the last 3 minutes);
- time is black – the tracking device is in standby mode (signal age is 4-65 minutes);
- time is red – the tracking device is switched off or out of range (the last signal was received more than 1 hour ago). If possible, check the device.
NB! The time is shown in the map view in the dog information window (by clicking on the dog icon) and the time shown in the tracking device management window may differ. The map view shows the dog’s last location and time. The monitor management view shows the last signal received by the tracking device, which may not include the location of the tracking device.
The number of satellites fixed by the tracking device is displayed. Your device must capture at least 3-4 satellites to determine your location. The larger the number of fixed satellites, the more accurate the position of the tracking device is shown. The maximum number of fixed satellites is 12.
The success of satellite tracking by your device in tracking mode depends on several factors:
- GPS signal strength or lack of it. Because satellites are in the sky, the device has to “see the sky” to receive GPS signals. Being indoors or under a dense forest makes it difficult to see the sky, resulting in weak or no signals. Heavy clouds can also affect the speed at which satellites are found.
- Range in GPS signal strength. To fix a satellite, it is necessary that the signal received should be steady. GPS signal range is generally affected by glazed windows inside (the gas used in the windows affects the propagation of the GPS signal). The stability of the GPS signal is also affected by the dog running – its movement is abrupt, which is why the GPS signals are uneven in the tracking device of the running dog.
Changing the operating modes of the monitoring device
In the device management view, you can send work orders to the device. Work orders to be sent are made either by a call to the device or sending SMS:
- To switch to device tracking mode, press the ‘Start’ button, and a phone call to the tracking device number will begin. When the command is understood, the tracker interrupts the call. NB! Due to technical problems with the operator, the user may also receive the message “Service failed, please try again later”” However, the device starts working.
- To call the device and listen to the dog, press on the phone symbol and a phone call will be started to the tracking device number. The device in answering mode automatically answers the call. The call can be up to 60 seconds long.
- To switch off the device from the monitoring mode, press the ‘Stop’ button and the phone will start sending an SMS to the tracking device number. The content of the SMS to be sent is “1”.
- To change the monitoring interval of the tracking device, select ‘Set interval’ and enter the desired time in seconds. The sending of an SMS to the tracking device number is then initiated. The content of the SMS to be sent is “1” + the monitoring interval entered by the user (e.g. “115” is sent to the device for a 15-second interval). Sending an interval change command to a device in standby mode also puts the device into monitoring mode. The monitoring interval of the tracker can be between 1-99 seconds. NB! The faster the device, the higher the battery consumption of the device.
Viewing the dog’s route and distance travelled
The Doglo app can be used to view the route travelled by a dog and its length.
To do this:
- Go to the dog tracking device management view (select “Tracking devices” in the menu and the desired tracking device).
- Press the show movement history button (map mark with a path). The mark turns orange.
- Go back to the map view and the route of the dog’s movement will be drawn on the map. The length of the journey to be drawn is up to the last 24 hours. The user can also set a shorter period, which can be changed in the app settings under “Distance traveled time”.
- To view, the distance traveled, click on the dog icon in the map view and you will see the distance traveled in kilometers with time information. For example, Dis: 1.24km (2h) – the dog traveled 1.24 kilometers in the last 2 hours.
To remove a route from the map view, go to the tracker management menu and press the orange motion history display button and the sign will turn white again.
In-App settings, you can choose between the following time periods:
- last 1 hour,
- last 2 hours,
- last 4 hours,
- last 8 hours,
- last 12 hours,
- last 24 hours.
Sharing a dog tracker with family members
The tracking device can be shared with 4 more users. Thus, 5 people can watch the dog at the same time. To share your device, follow these steps:
- Select the device you want to share in the “Tracking Devices” menu and in the list of devices.
- “Shared Telephone” is displayed in the monitor management view. Clicking on it will open the tracker’s sharing screen.
- If a person you want to share the device with is your contact, enter their name in the “Add phone number” field and their phone number will be suggested from the contacts. If the person you want is not in the contact book, enter the number. NB! The phone number must also include the country code (e.g. +372 xxxxx).
- Confirm your selection by pressing the “+” sign.
- Once the desired shares have been added, save.
A user with whom the tracking device is shared will see the location of the dog in the Doglo app. The shared tracking device will also appear in the list of trackers in their Doglo app.
Basic dog data (Android)
The user can save and edit information related to their dog in the Doglo app.
To add dog details, you must
- in the app menu, select “Pets” and select the “+” sign,
- enter your dog’s details,
- date of birth
- real name (name in the document)
- the nickname used in the app
- chip number
- kennel number
- save the dog’s data.
Dog information is stored on the phone, which you can change or delete later. The user can add an unlimited number of pets.
Dog vaccinations (Android)
The user can record vaccinations and medications related to their dog in the Doglo app.
Select a dog to store the corresponding information
- select “Pets” in the app menu and select your dog from there,
- the pet data view opens and selec the “+” sign in the “Vaccinations / Medicines” section
- enter your vaccination details,
- name of vaccination or medicine
- if necessary, the deadline for the next vaccination
- Save the data.
The entered information is saved on the phone. To view vaccinations, press the “>” sign in the appropriate section.
Dog treatment case information (Android)
The user can save treatment cases related to their dog in the Doglo app.
Select to store the dog-related information
- select “Pets” in the app menu and select the dog there,
- The pet data view opens and select the “+” sign in the “Treatment cases” section
- enter your vaccination details,
- treatment content
- name of veterinarian
- save the data.
The entered information is saved on the phone. To view information about treatment cases, press the “>” sign in the corresponding section.
Information about participation in dog shows (Android)
The user can save the information about the participation in shows with their pet.
Select to store the corresponding information
- select “Pets” in the app menu and select your dog there,
- the pet data view opens, select the “+” sign in the “Shows” section
- enter your vaccination details,
- exhibition venue
- results of exhibition
- save the data.
The entered information is saved on the phone. To view information about participation in exhibitions, press the “>” sign in the corresponding section.
Replacing the base map
The user can use two base maps – the Google general map and the Google hybrid map. To change the base map, use the corresponding map symbol at the bottom right corner of the screen.
The user can measure distances on the map. To do so, turn on the ruler mark at the bottom right corner of the map (after switching on, the mark will turn green). By clicking on the desired locations on the map, the app shows the distance between them (a red line appears between the points, and the distance between the points is shown in a red area above them).
To end / cancel the measuring function, press the ruler mark again (after switching off, the mark turns white).
Save and administrate your objects
The user can save their objects on the map. Saved items can also be found in the “Saved objects” menu.
To save a new item:
- long press on the map at the desired location, a pop-up window will open;
- select “Add my object”.
- select the appropriate icon for your object (there are more than 80 different icons to choose from);
- if necessary, specify the coordinates of the location of your object.
- enter object information in the note field (the entered information is shown next to the object);
- if desired, you can also add owner information.
- Save the item.
The icon of the saved object appears on the map in the map view.
Clicking on the object icon opens the object information window, where you can see the saved notes about the item and the user’s current distance from the object. Your Android device also offers navigation to an object using Google Maps.
You can see all your saved items in the “Saved objects” menu. When you click on the object icon, the app goes to the map view and you can see the location of your object on the map. By clicking the edit button, you can go to the object management view and edit or delete the object data.
Setting up the app
The user can configure the following parameters in the app (select in the „Settings“ menu):
- Language of the app – the user can choose between 15 different languages;
- Distance traveled time – determines how long the dog’s movement log is displayed on the screen and the distance traveled by the dog. The range is from 1 to 24 hours;
- Metering system – metric and inch metrics are available.
Additionally, the user sees the Doglo app version under Settings.
Software update for tracking device
The tracking device management view shows the software version (firmware) used in the device. The manufacturer of the tracker will release an updated software version from time to time to improve the performance of the device or to add some additional features. The latest number of the tracking device software version is published on Doglo website and is updated via Doglo channels (website, social media).
To update the tracking device software, in the device management view, select upgrade and the phone will start sending an SMS to the tracking device number. The content of the SMS to be sent is “fw”.
The device software update takes about 10 minutes, which consists of two stages:
- Download software version – the device lights up blue.
- Install software version – the device lights turn green and red or all lights go out (differences are due to the previous software version);
After installing the software, the device returns to standby mode (blue light blinking) and a fresh data connection is established, after which the new connection time and the software version number installed in the device are displayed in the device management view.
Creating a geo-fence in the app (Android)
To create a geo-fence in the Doglo application:
- In the map view, where you want to create a geo-fence, hold your finger on the screen until a pop-up window appears;
- Choose “Create a geo-fence”;
- Enter the desired radius, its name, and add the dog tracking device;
- Confirm its creation;
- Virtual fence saved and activated.